This report was commissioned by Greenpeace Italy to the UTS Institute for Sustainable Futures established by the University of Technology Sydney to provide rigorous and independent modelling into Italy’s plan to phase-out coal by 2025.
Some key findings:
- By 2030, 72% of the electricity produced in Italy will come from renewable energy sources under the E[R] scenario, increasing to 100% in 2050.
- ‘New’ renewables—mainly onshore wind, solar photovoltaic, and offshore wind—will contribute 35% to the total electricity generation in 2030 and 54% by 2050.
- The installed capacity of renewables will reach almost 103 GW in 2030 and 230 GW by 2050.
- Source: The Institute for Sustainable Futures (ISF)
- Publication Date: 06/2020
- Country: Italy
- Language: English