Report released by SolarPower Europe and LUT University that models a 100% renewables scenario for Europe to reach climate neutrality before 2050.
The study is the first of its kind to model a fully renewable pathway to achieving climate neutrality for the European energy system, presenting three transition pathways, with varying levels of ambition.
A key finding of the report is that the 100% renewable scenarios result in lower per unit energy costs and show that achieving climate neutrality by 2050 is more cost-effective compared to a lower level of ambition.
Key findings of the report:
- A 100% renewable energy system enables the EU to become climate neutral before 2050 in the most cost-effective manner.
- A 100% renewable energy system in Europe will lead to sharpest decline in GHG emissions, down to zero by 2040.
- Solar power is set to generate more than 60% of EU’s electricity by 2050.
- To achieve this goal, EU energy system needs high rate of electrification and sectoral integration.
- Category: Solar Industry Reports
- Source: SolarPower Europe
- Publication Date: 04/2020
- ISBN: 9789463965996